freak incubator death? anyone had this happen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hatchaholic, Nov 30, 2008.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm on my 4th hatch. These are my banty cochin eggs, so I am really excited. When I went to bed, 3 of 6 had already hatched (day 20). I woke up and decided to come check the other eggs. One had hatched, but couldn't see the chick...

I turned on the light and saw that it had somehow fallen UNDER the screen in my genesis 1588!!! Poor baby was laying in the bottom of the bator, dead. [​IMG] The screen had popped up in one of the corners. Never had this happen before....

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you do anything special to hold the screen down? My DH has never liked my using that screen in there....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    wow, Im sorry, what a bummer to find a chick like that. Perhaps some small weights on the corners or some kind of cross bracing?

Chel

3. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I use thumb tacks to keep my down had it happen and luckily caught it before anything happened but someone on heres chick did that and drowned in the water in the channels. So I thumb tack mine down in each corner

4. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, I've had that happen- and it's an issue that Hobavator needs to address. I keep mine down with paper clips.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive had that happen also. I put paper towels over the screen, and the corners that pop up, thats where I put the humidity....thing (Im brain dead this morning, cant think of the name [​IMG]) and on the other corner that pops up, I put a little tiny bowl with water and a paper towel in it for humidity. Takes care of the problem for me.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thumbtacks or paperclips are great ideas! I've wondered about the same thing myself. Thanks guys!

7. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks, ya'll. I felt so horribly bad when I found it last night. I just wish I would have thought about the possibility ahead of time...I'm sorry ya'll had the same experience, but I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one.

I will definately be finding some thumb tacks before I set my next eggs next week!

8. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    We used that blue painter's tape to hold down the edges. Had that happen on our quail hatches this summer. Lost a few unfortunately. I will set up my hatcher that way from now on.

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    yup, especially with quail..

I just bent the screen down along all four edges slightly about an inch in from the edges.. that makes the screen edges stiffer and harder to lift.. and the edges sort of dig into the styrofoam making a better seal.. haven't had a drowning for years, now..

remember, these incubators are yours once you buy them.. don't be afraid to modify them to suit your needs.. I have 8 of the styro ones and there is not a one that is factory fresh.. I have holes plugged and others drilled, automatic waterers and improved thermostats..

.......jiminwisc........

10. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Jim - I had the edges turned down and kinda "dug" into the bator a little. I thought that would hold it, but apparently I didn't do a good enough job...

I really appreciate all the good advice, everybody!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by