Freak Red Cross Roo, mis-labeled or hen that makes weird noises?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bedel5, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Bedel5

Bedel5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

We bought 3 Red Cross pullets and one looks like it is a roo except the fact that Red Cross Roos are supposed to be white. Somebody is making crowing type noises and I suspect this one. We have 12 total the others are 3 barred rocks, 3 brown and white I can't remember what type lol, and 3 amber links. Any ideas on what's up with this one with the big comb??

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. Bedel5

Apr 18, 2015
    The one in the middle

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    This guy is looking like a cockerel. Do you mean Red sex-links (instead of Red crosses)? Because the ones in the pictures look like Production Reds to me.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They all appear to be Pullets to me.....

Cheers!

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I agree they look like production reds, definitely not red sex links (if that was what you were meaning by red cross) and the second photo appears to be a cockerel.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yeah, someone mixed up red sex link and production red. Red sex links are the ones where the hens are red and the roosters are white/silver. Your birds are production reds, both genders are red. Your middle bird is a cockerel.

7. Bedel5

Apr 18, 2015
    We purchased them at Rural King and they were labeled Red Cross Pullets but I guess Red sexlink is the technical term?

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The one everyone is saying is a Cockerel? Looks pullet to me......Only her Comb ans Wattles are bigger.....Pullet!

Cheers!

9. Bedel5

Apr 18, 2015
    So are production reds Rhode Island reds?

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Okay, feed stores tend to miss label (or make names up) for some breeds. The most common "red" bird breeds are: Rhode Island Reds, Production Reds, Red sex-links (aka Red stars), and Red Rangers. Your birds look like they are Production Reds (roosters and hens are both red feathered), also the one in the middle looks like a cockerel because a) it's comb and wattles are way big for a pullet that hasn't started laying and b) because its feathering/stature looks like a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by