Freaked out, bare butt chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsjustjessica, Jul 23, 2013.

1. itsjustjessica

itsjustjessica New Egg

Jul 23, 2013
    Hi, I'm really new to backyard chickens.
    We had to return a rooster and came home with two chickens to add to our flock. One looked pretty...ugly. I assumed it was from being bullied at the farm, but then I read about fowl pox :/
    I'm freaking myself out! Does this look like something I should be getting checked out?
    He has no tail feathers and his...umm head thing is all scabbed up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fastfel

fastfel New Egg

Jul 18, 2013
    How long have you had the new chicken?

I am not familiar with Fowl Pox but I did get a chicken from a friend before & most of her birds had bare butts from pecking at each other. After a short time at my house the hens feathers did grow back.

As for the scabbing on the comb, does it look more like scabs from scratches, etc. or does it look more like sores?

Regardless, it is usually good practice to keep new chickens quarantined for a short time to make sure there is nothing wrong before introducing them to your own birds.

3. itsjustjessica

itsjustjessica New Egg

Jul 23, 2013
    I've had the new ones for two days now. It's definitely scabs. Thanks for the suggestion, they've been kind of keeping to themselves, but today started hanging with the other birds more. I'm going to look for sores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by