Freakin walnuts!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JulieNKC, Oct 3, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I was on the side of the house, setting up my hav a hart, when a walnut fell and hit me on my shin! Ouch, it hurt sooo bad. I'm getting my revenge tomorrow,cutting them all open. I never wanted to mess with it before, but they started it now, and it's war. Now, need to go to the store and get some bananas, looks like I'll be making lots of banana nut bread. [​IMG] We have 4 or 5 huge black walnut trees on the side of the house, plus a few more I think in the backyard, looks like I'll be busy for awhile.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    They will get even again....your hands will have the evidence on them for weeks!!!

Love walnuts!!!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    This time of year is especially dangerous for folks who have Black Walnut trees. The slightest breeze will send several dozen crashing to the ground. And you better not be near them or you'll have a concussion!

[​IMG]

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I have gloves. [​IMG] Problem is I'm not sure how to get to them, the squirrels send them flying down during the day constantly. They especially like hurling them at the roof when the baby is napping. [​IMG] Guess I need to dig out a helmet. [​IMG] I love walnuts too, I just haven't ever wanted to go through the trouble of getting them myself. But since they are there and seem to be intent on causing bodily harm, and I need to try out my duck eggs in some baked goods, guess I might as well.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:It could be worse... I lived on Guam for 4 years (just before I came to ND) and there you had to watch for falling coconuts. Including the husk they were about as big as my head and if you parked under one you were risking your windshield.

I love black walnuts, but they don't do too well up here [​IMG]

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Black walnuts are so good!! But you need a jackhammer, buzz saw, 8 pound sledge hammer and a track hoe ( to run over them with) just to get 'em open!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Whaat?

Out here getting hit by a Walnut is like getting hit by lightning, getting injured by one is like getting killed by a Robin, and then cracking 'em open? Not that hard.

I've got two very big, healthy, productive Black Walnuts but never complain except that I can't get them to dry properly out here. It is sooo humid and rainy and cool, they just rot.

8. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:It could be worse... I lived on Guam for 4 years (just before I came to ND) and there you had to watch for falling coconuts. Including the husk they were about as big as my head and if you parked under one you were risking your windshield.

don't know why, we luruuuuves em here in Central Michigan [​IMG]

9. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Jealous... my parents' walnut tree didn't have ANY this year due to freeze/drought. [​IMG]

10. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND

don't know why, we luruuuuves em here in Central Michigan [​IMG]

Because the area of North Dakota where I live is zone 3, usually drought conditions, and we have fire blight problems on our apples that seems to also affect Black Walnuts. I grew up in PA, I miss them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by