Freaking out about horizontal nipples

Richard Pryor

Songster
May 17, 2017
I have 24 chicks between the ages of 4-7 weeks. I was using the typical farm store-bought waterer. They were drinking around 2 quarts every day. I didn't notice much spillage to be honest.

2 days ago I switched to the horizontal nipples. Although I see them playing with the nipples, hardly any water has been drank (by checking the tank). I see them struggling with the nipples, moving them side to side, but I don't see them pushing it. I also don't see them doing this after they struggle with the nipples...

chicks-drinking.jpg

Should I be concerned?

Cell phone is charging so I need a few minutes. But it's a standard 5 gal bucket with a bunch on nipples around it, sitting on a brick so it's higher up.

Still need a pic?

Welcome Richard Pryor how old are the peeps please? are they tall enough to reach them? how much do they need to stretch ? I use horizontal on my birds from day one never lost one to dehydration :confused:

Yes please post a picture. I actually had similar issues with my girls. We had a typical waterer to begin with as well and they were drinking so much. When we moved them to the coop, we figured they were big enough for the waterer with nipples but they didn't seem to really be "getting it". We showed them there was water in it and put both the original waterer and the new one in there with them. This way, while they figured out what the new one was they still had access to water. Eventually one smart girl figured it out and started drinking from it and once one learns, the others follow.

I have 24 chicks between the ages of 4-7 weeks. I was using the typical farm store-bought waterer. They were drinking around 2 quarts every day. I didn't notice much spillage to be honest.

2 days ago I switched to the horizontal nipples. Although I see them playing with the nipples, hardly any water has been drank (by checking the tank). I see them struggling with the nipples, moving them side to side, but I don't see them pushing it. I also don't see them doing this after they struggle with the nipples...

chicks-drinking.jpg

Should I be concerned?

With water bottle nipple drinking systems, you have to poke a hole in the top of the water bottle, or the water will not flow when they try to get water out.

Yes I agree with the previous, you need air intake in the container for the water to flow. You should be able to touch the nipple lightly and see water come out easily.
Here's a video I made of 2 of my youngsters using vertical nipples. You can see the water coming out and how easily it flows, horizontal should be the same.

Back
Top Bottom