[freaking out] Open beak, wobbling walk and hard crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosiethechicken, Mar 1, 2013.

1. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I am panicking this morning because one of my chickens keeps her beak open (almost like trying to throw up),
    has wobbling walk and doesnt seem like interested in drinking water.

I checked her crop in the morning, and it did seem hard. She is keeping her beak really open as I can see her back of throat.

Is this sour crop or gape worm or something else ? Anything I can do immediately to start addressing it ?

Appreciate help.

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Hold her upside down and thump her on the back. It sounds like she has food backed up in her esophagus to where its cutting off her windpipe. Feel her throat and see if that is hard too. If there is food backed up in her esophagus, you can work it back up, but you have to be quick about getting it out of her mouth as it will block the opening of her trachea.

3. rosiethechicken

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks. I tried it, nothing came out and checked the crop and neck again.
    By afternoon the crop is soft and I dont feel any hard food in there. The neck seems not hard (no lumps or anything).

She keep her mouth wide open, I can see back of her "tongue" and opening into Trachea & Esophagus.

When I open the mouth, normal checks have their tongue rested, but this one has it up (the back) as if its trying to
    get more air into its lungs.

Also noticed little stickyness in back of the tongue area.

So still not sure whats going on in there.

4. rbaker0345

Sounds like she might have a little sinus infection. Could be gape worm. I would go with some antibiotics and a worming.

5. rosiethechicken

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks again. I have been reading about various dewormers and antibiotics. Can you recommend any one combination ?
    This is the first time I will be deworming or using antibiotics for my little flock. Appreciate it.

6. rbaker0345

I would start with a piperazine dewormer and a tetracycline antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by