freaking out please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by team edward, Aug 23, 2010.

1. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    ok i have a bunch of sweet 4 month old chicks that i absolutely adore. but suddenly some got weak and just died. i dont know what to do! my favorite silkies died this morning and a blue andalusian didnt even have its head anymore!!!! i dont think it was a predator because the was still like 30 more chickens in the cage and they were ok. but i dont know what else it could be... i dont think it was a another chick because they were too weak to do that kind of damage. does anybody know what i should do?[​IMG]

2. team edward

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    still freaking out...still dont know what to do at all... im so worried about my poor chicks! please help!

3. Mandy1296

Mandy1296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Jasper Georgia
    What do you mean - didn't have his head anymore? Like something ate it?

4. team edward

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    it looks like it i mean its head was not attached to its body and there was no sign of her head at all. all that was left was some flesh attached to her body.it was sad and i dont know what happened because it doesnt look like a predator got in there because all the rest of them still had heads and everything.

5. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Cat, possum, skunk, coon!!!! what kind of cage?

I'm so sorry!!! [​IMG]

6. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    A raccoon can pull a chicken part way through chicken wire and pull it's head off. Chicken wire is not predator proof. What kind of cage do you have?

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    he othes probably were scared to death. Sorry for ur loss [​IMG]

8. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    If there is a predator (as mentioned before) The chickens can pile up and suffocate each other in fear! The coon and a few others could reach in and pull a head through the wire and eat it! I would deffinatley get some 1/2 inch wire mesh to cover the cage with!

Good Luck and God Bless!

9. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    [​IMG] sorry but i would say a coon got into youre chicks. start predator proofing![​IMG]

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If she had some bleeding, the others might have pecked and ate her (I know that sounds awful)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by