freaking storm and flooded coops!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pokey, Mar 1, 2009.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    well the weather i was making fun of yesterday bit me in the behind today! [​IMG] this morning i woke up took the dogs out i saw the coops standing in water. i couldn't believe it! i ran and threw on a jacket and ran down there. most of the cochins were soaking wet and the silkies were too. and you've never seen more pitiful polish!!!!so i ran over and thank goodness i have two temp. cages and gathered everybody up and put them under the boat carport. then i grabbed two heat lamps , sooo, i hope everybody will dry out before tonight. stupid weather!!!! it's never flooded before.

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Those poor little cochin's do look aweful when they are wet!! We are not flooded, yet. It is nasty though. The coops are just disgusting and they smell sooooo bad [​IMG]

I hope your "kids" dry out before night falls!!

3. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    well, i can tell you they are drying out but they are not happy little campers..... now it is starting to sleet.

4. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:My chickens hate being caged up. They get really made at me, lol. It snowed here this morning and now it is cold, as you know what, out there.

5. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    It has been raining here since Friday and our driveway is almost under water, The coop is flooded and the pasture looks like a pond. Suppose to start snowing at some point. If it snows as hard as it is raining right now we will need a boat to get off the property.

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG] I hate the rain!!

7. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    we need the rain, but i was not really wanting to scacrifice chickens for it...... too much like voodoo! [​IMG]

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It is miserable here too. Rained since early Friday morning before dawn and it's poured down in buckets at times. Everywhere you look pastures and fields are lakes. Rivers are running out of their banks and lakes are overspilling the dams. It terrible! All my coops are sopping wet with sticky muck and my poor birds look miserable [​IMG] There is only so much I can do. The bantams are all in raised, enclosed and roofed coops so they are toastey and happy but my LF are not so fortunate. They have small indoor coops they can go in but don't like to stay there for extended periods and their runs are a horrible mess! My silkies are the worst. They look like little drownded muskrats!
    The temp is dropping quickly now and snow has been falling mixed with sleet and freezing rain. I am concearned about frostbite and hypothermia. I have no place I can put everyone where they will be completely indoors so all I can do is hope they have enough sense to stay out of the worst of this. [​IMG]

9. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    its been snowing here for about an hour now. i will have to go out and knock snow off the top of the lf pen i have. atleast i could move their coop to a little drier ground this morning. the roof is galv tin but it just covers the open top kennel to keep it light so it can be moved, but not good for lots of snow. thank goodness my faverolles and ameracauna chicks are not here. i would be in a mess! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  10. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Aw, poor babies!

We live on a hill, so flooding is impossible for us... but we have some bad wind. One of my coops actually blew away last year. The birds just stood there terribly confused where their house went.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by