Freakish Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, May 2, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Are Buff Orpington's generally very large?

Mine is (or seems to be) growing at some alarming rate (like you can see a major difference from morning to night of the same day) and she's (hopefully a SHE!) has so many feathers, like that awkward teen stage (but she's having her 2 week birthday today)

or maybe it's the barred rock that is extra petite? But I don't think so....the Buff Orpington has BIG BIRD STOCKS of legs and BIG FOOT sized feet!

sooo I guess my question is do BO's generally grow fast and big compared to the BR?

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    My oprs are now starting to out grow my barred rockx. They were similar size for a while but now at 3 months old they are out growing him - pullets and cockerels. They are a fairly large bird to begin with and they dwarf my polish!! Of course, my barred rockx will never get old enough to prove himself, for alas, he is freezer bound! Shhhhh! He doesnt know it yet.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My last brood consisted of just a buff orp and an australorp. The BO grew like a weed. She's still quite a bit larger than the australorp. I, like you, wondered for a while if she was a he but the good folks on BYC assured me that BOs just grow very, very fast!

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Mine are growing a lot too. My DH calls them monster chickens and hoovers. I love my BO's though...they are my favorite...they make good for funny names though...big bertha is my fav name for them!

5. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I noticed that about my BOs and BRs too! I wonder what it is..

6. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    I'm so glad to hear this, because she's giant...and looks like a big mean man eating dinosaur but is the world's sweetest chick ever!

She's 2 weeks old today and already needs a bigger brooder! And I made my brooder out of one of those SUPER LARGE rubbermaid containers...big enough size that both my kids fit in there comfortably and yet this chick is ready to move into something bigger! [​IMG]

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Hmm - Mine were the opposite. My three BR were the fastest to grow bigger, faster feather development, and HUGE feet that they would step on when trying to walk.

At 10 1 /2 wks, the two EE's are now the biggest, seconded by the three BR's, then the two RIR's - that includes the runt that was very slow to grow and feather, then my BO's are a bit smaller than everyone.

8. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    are you sure its not a cornish rock? hmm

9. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I'm worried about that with my Buff Orpington myself!!! [​IMG]

10. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    It's really yellow...cornish rocks look more white to me...

See pic from a while ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll take some pics today and post more recent so you can see her new feather / size developments! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by