Freaky egg-laying incident

Spikes Chooks

Songster
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Well, I've had soft shells and even no shell eggs. This was quite an experience though - last night, when I called the girls to bed with their scratch, Ladybird the RIR was unusually slow and just waddled along slowly. Once I got them in, she didn't eat (and she is the greediest!) but hunched down at the end of the run. I thought she was sick. Then she crouched a little more and pooped. It was small and white. She turned round, pecked a bit of it off and ate it! And then the other 3 girls rushed over and squabbled over the rest. Hmmm, I thought, not poop then! I couldn't get in amongst the rucus to get a closer look at it.

So Ladybird comes over for some scratch and a couple of mintes later, goes back into the hunch down position. This time - out pops an egg! Only with the rubbery membrane on it. It bounced in the sand! Again, the girls all rushed at it and I am sure would have eaten it if I hadn't got to it first. It sure felt wierd.

I opened it up later and it's a normal egg. Come to think of it, 2-3 weeks ago I found the remains of yellow yolk on their straw under the roosts. So I guess they have learnt that a shell-less egg can be eaten.... Previously, I would get the odd no-shell one off the roost and, even when the membrane had split on impact, there was never sign of it being eaten.

I'm not worried - happens from time to time and they are all eating shell grit. If I get too many in a short period, I'll add a little liquid calcium to their mash.

Just thought I'd share this odd experience with y'all!

Believe it or not, this has happened to me as well! Multiple times, in fact. Though it usually happens when a girl is just starting to lay for the first time, or when in older hen comes in or out of her laying cycle. I think that first white bit is mushed up calcium that was supposed to be the shell but didn't quite work out, and then the second bit is, obviously, the egg.

And my chickens have also picked up the worse habit of eating ANY egg that is on the ground and not in a nest box...

Back
Top Bottom