Fredster eggs have arrived!!! A+++

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    The mail carrier came today and left the box outside, I was expecting him to knock on the door because it's freezing outside and I thought we would leave it outside and let the air blow it! well he just came left the box and left! I waited for him to leave then I went and grabbed the box opened it and WOW! perfect wrapping! not a single egg broken not even a scratch! but they felt cold!!! I went and got an egg from the fridge and compared the cold the refrigated egg was obviously colder but the shipped egg was almost as cold as the refrigated egg! so now I just put a thermometer inside the fridge and im waiting to see how cold is the fridge to see how much cold was the egg that was stored in the fridge then I can know if the embryo is still alive. I was amazed by the wrapping!!! its amazing I give a A+++! I will post some pics later so eveyrone can see the great packaging. There were 15 eggs shipped and I have 9 eggs from my hens from last monday so that makes 24? I believe. I have several question, the humidity on the incubator has to be between 35%-45% right? and the temp. has to be 99.5-102 right?. ok this is the worst one. How can I leave the eggs so the can rest? where do I put them and which side? can I just lay them on their side or do I have to get an egg carton and put the eggs with the pointy, small end down and the big end up where the air sac is? if you help me I would really appreciate it!

thanks.

JhonnyakaSkittles

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im new , but what I do is let them rest in a carton. If you dont have or want to muck with a carton you can put them in something so they dont fall and break or what not but thats big enough for you to set them on there side. I like to use a cut down carton for shipped eggs because a lot of them have damaged air cells.
    I use 40-45% humidity but its usually down to 35 by the time I add more water and thats every 3 days or so.
    I have a still air LG and I like to keep the temp at 100-101 but most people say 101-102 for still air.
    If you have a fan then shoot for 99.5-100
    I would let them sit at room temp whatever way you put them for at least 12 hours and probly wait till in the morning if you can lol .
    Good luck

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    gabrielle1976

thats the same one I have! a LG still air incubator with no fan, or egg turner.

Ok I checked the thermometer that I left in the fridge and it read 43? something in the 40's less than 45 degrees so if the refrigerated egg was about 40 f degrees and the shipped eggs arrived about almost the same so let say that the shipped eggs were around 50 degrees so would that have killed the embryo?

4. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    They should be fine at 50 degrees.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I think they will be ok some people hatch refridgerated eggs so just make shure they get to room temp befor you put then in the bator.

6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    thanks for the help I really appreciate it [​IMG] Ruditchka & gabrielle1976

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by