Free 55 gallon drums

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Someone is giving away 55 gallon drums. The only thing is that something was store in the plastic containers. Please tell me if you think these plastic containers would be safe to store feed in or not?

This is how he described the 55 gallon drums.

We have empty 55 gallon drums that we currently cut up and throw in the dumpster. The drums either had resin (Sealaction
500) or isocyanate mdi (which is water soluble). Both are non toxic chemicals. They are empty and some are cleaner than others. Should not be too hard to clean. They have a 6 inch hole with a cap that comes off on top.

What do you think? Will this harm my animals if I store feed in them?

Resin is a hydrocarbon secretion of many plants, particularly coniferous trees. It is valued for its chemical constituents and uses, such as varnishes and adhesives, as an important source of raw materials for organic synthesis, or for incense and perfume. Fossilized resins are the source of amber. Resins are also a material in nail polish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin

sounds okay...look upo the chemicals see what you can find.

as long as they are water soluble i would rinse the heck out of them dry them in the sun for a bit and get after your rat killin!

I like the metal barrels myself...nothing like a good fire to clean something out!

Quote:
I saw that on Craigs list too!!
smile.png

Missi

I read information about these chemicals but I'm still not sure. It's not too often people give away 55 gallon drums. Just wish that chemicals weren't in them. I will try to do some more research. Hope that others offer comments or suggestions, so we all will know. If it were you, would YOU get them and store feed for your animals? Would you feel comfortable storing feed knowing what was in them?

Can you buy empty 55 gallon drums at your local
bulk oil supplier? Here they were like $5.00 each
last time I checked.

Needed to cut the tops out, but as least I knew for
sure what was in them. Close by also...a few miles
away.

I would say to clean those barrels. Clean them well.
Then have at it.

Back
Top Bottom