1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FREE 6 month old RIR Rooster in Northern Illinois

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Lady_Cluck, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Lady_Cluck

Lady_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    The hens have requested a reduction in roosters, and the low-man on the totem pole with the raging hormones just got voted off the Island.

He's a young RIR rooster, born the second week in June from Cackle hatchery. He was supposed to be a hen. ;-) Instead he surprised me and his sisters by growing a big red comb and crowing....

Anyway, he's a good boy, and a nice looking rooster. I would of course prefer if you didn't eat him, as he is a good boy as far as roosters go, but I know things always don't go that way. He'd be great with a flock of hens of his own, especially if you want chicks. Right now he has to share with the other two dominant roosters, and I just don't have nearly enough hens for everyone to get along.

I'm in Rockford, and I'd be willing to meet anyone within a reasonable distance. If no one wants him, he's just going to have to hang out in a solitary bachelor pen for a while. Just thought I'd try and give him a chance for his own flock.

And yes, he's FREE. Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Just wanted to say that Rockford is my hometown!!

3. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I have two Rhode Island Red hens that were born june 8. To bad i dont have room for a rooster right now. Sorry.

4. Lady_Cluck

Lady_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Hello fellow Rockfordian!!! [​IMG]

And that's ok if you don't need a rooster, barred-rocks-rock; thanks for looking! [​IMG]

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

what a beautiful boy. Makes me miss my Sarge... Already too many roos, but I'd take him if I could. I hope you either find him a nice permanent home (and not in a freezer camp or nice warm broth jacuzzi!) or maybe he will be ok in a bachelor pad. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by