Free Ameraucana Rooster in Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Poupoulles, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Ok, so one of my hens is actually a rooster and starts to crow this morning at 6 am. Technically you can have roosters in Raleigh, but I am not having it. He is lovely, black with white marks, and blueblack tail feathers. 9 weeks old or so. Not aggressive at all. He needs a home or he may end up going sleepy-time. I hate it, but my neighbors will complain and there was an article TODAY in the paper about backyard chickens and zoning laws and crowing roosters being the main reason neighbors complain. I have four hens as well and dont want to lose them! What should I do?! I put an ad on craigslist too, and at our vet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    What part of Raleigh are you in?

3. Poupoulles

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Off of Falls between Milbrook and Spring Forest.

4. Wolfpacker

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    I went to the Yates Mill Pond trash collection facility and there were three roosters hanging out in the woods. The attendant said someone must have dropped them off and they had been there quite a while and seemed to be doing fine.

Now that's not an option, I'm just telling you so you'll know it might be a bit difficult to get rid of him. There are people on this board far more knowledgeable than I am who will probably have some good ideas. There are also folks who post here who live out the country near Raleigh who might have room for him.

I'm not too far from you, near the intersection of Six Forks and Wake Forest. I have a friend who lives in the neighborhood next to the Raleigh Raquet Club. Can't think of the name of it right now.

5. Poupoulles

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    I know where you mean. Its a cute neighborhood, lots of little brady bunch houses. Someone just emailed me about my craigslist, so I may have a home for Clarisse/Clarence. I owuld not just dump him out somewhere, poor guy, but I don't want to lose my hens.

6. Wolfpacker

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    "little brady bunch houses"

EXACTLY! The funny thing is, when I was growing up in Raleigh back in the 1970s, that was considered a VERY nice neighborhood.

Good luck with your bird!

7. Poupoulles

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    [​IMG]

I forgot to post his picture. he has unusual coloring. I think I have someone who wants him, but in case that guy falls through here he is!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  8. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I saw that article! I think some people complain just for the sake of complaining.

Good luck finding a home for your boy... I have a few I'd love to place, or they may get invited for dinner.

9. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Do you find him a home yet? I live in Youngsville and I have 1 roo already but I might would take him if you can't find a home for him.

10. portia66

portia66 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    North Carolina
    Have you found a home for your rooster? I live in Goldsboro and would love to have him if you haven't gotten him a home already!
    Portia:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by