FREE Barred Rock Chick- 4 weeks- Maine

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
We bought 7 sexed pullets that were hatched April 27. We're suspecting the Plymouth Barred Rock may not be a Chloe, but a Charlie. There's nothing definitive yet, no larger or red comb.... but she/he's feathering in more slowly than the other 6, and we just have a "feeling". It's an adorable chick, but we cannot have a rooster here, so we're looking for a good home for this baby.

All of our chicks are hand-raised in our home with lots of human contact. Although we feed 100% organic after about 6 weeks, this chick is still on medicated starter and was vaccinated against Mareks. She/he is very healthy and adorable.

This baby should go to a home with other like-aged chicks. (3-6 weeks??)

We live in Cumberland, Maine. I'd be willing to drive and meet you partway (within reason) for the right home. I don't want this baby ending up in the stew pot
smile.png

Quote:
You can sex Barred Rocks by feather color. Males are lighter, have wider white bars. Hens are darker. So if they are all darker then they should be hens

This baby was sexed at the hatchery. She/he didn't look any different than the other BRs when we chose her at the feed store. But as soon as she started feathering in, we knew something was different. We had a thread about it here...

and BR people (incl Speckled Hen) seemed to agree it wasn't typical. Since then, the feathering-in has continued VERY slow compared to the other girls, including the "bare wing bows" that I read was a cockerel trait. Additionally, this chick has longer legs, a longer neck, and shorter body than the other little pullets. it's also the one who calls out whenever another chick is removed from the brooder. So- while nothing's definitive- if I had to bet I'd go with cockerel....

That is looking like a pullet. Males are white with black stripes, and females are black with white stripes. Yours is feathered like a female.

I had the same question with my BR, and the nice people on BYC assured me that BR's are sexually dimorphic. Here are the posts about it .

In this picture, the comparison is obvious. The cockerels are the lighter banded chicks.

SANY0949.JPG

Here's a picture of mine at 6 weeks old. You can see how similar the barring is with yours. Mine did, in fact, turn out to be ladies.

chicks1.jpg

ETA: I should add that I, too, was worried about one of the BRs. When she got excited, her crest turned almost red. She would walk a little more upright than I thought she should... But sometimes, you have a tomboy (tomroo). Nowadays, she struts around with her tail in the air like this hen .
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I think you should wait. I have a 4 week old Barred rock too- feathering in very slowly. (the other BR I have is feathering in quicker)

I was convinced I had a roo for a couple of days based on that, but now, I'm not so sure either--

I think it really may be a pullet.

I know, its kind of frustrating, but yours looks like a pullet to me....

that would be a sad story if she was rid of because she was a "Tom-boy" or late bloomer!
tongue.png
Hope this story has a happy ending for every one!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom