free black and gold araucana cockerel, possibly, north ga

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by key west chick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I THINK I am gonna get rid of my 8 month old cockerel. Franklin is 8 months, and is a beautiful black and gold,rumpless, clean faced araucana. I got him as day old chicks from Nancy Utterback. I kept him and 5 pullets. The pullets have mysteriously died, one by one. No symptoms, just really weird and random. I'm down to 2 pullets and I think I'm about to lose another one. If I do, I'm keeping the 1 other pullet, but have decided to probably get rid of Franklin, no reason to keep him. I have no guarantee he is not carrying whatever is killing the pullets, if anything. None of my other chickens have been affected, just the araucanas. I actually think the first 2 were poisoned. If anyone wants him, let me know. If I decide to get rid of him, I can take him to the Jefferson show this weekend if someone wants him. I was just wondering if someone might be interested in him.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Bantam, or LF?

3. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    He's large fowl. He's beautiful and I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to give him away. I just don't see any real reason to keep him. He's fully rumpless, no tufts. I have a rumpless, single tuft blue pullet that looks like she'll die any minute. I have been battle this for 2 months. She started sneezing 2 months ago, no other symptoms. Then I noticed she kept stretching her neck out. I've checked her throat, can't see a thing. I've wormed her twice with safegaurd and wazine. I've given her bread with oil, massaged her crop. I've given her a round of antibiotics cause I don't know what else to do. She has a small appitite, and drinks fine. If she dies, I probably get rid of Franklin. I'll only have 1 araucana pullet left, tailed and clean faced.

4. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
  5. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Thats just it, only the araucanas have died. This last one is the only one that I might even consider sick. I think the others got into the compost pile and got botulism.

6. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Botulism is referred to as "limberneck" in birds, because when they get it they often can't hold their heads up. They also can't stand, and are very weak. You should have seen these signs if the birds were dying of it. OTOH, people often miss signs of respiratory diseases in birds.

Here's the Merck Vet Manual info about botulism:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/205400.htm

7. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Ummm, I don't know. I just know the first 2 died within 2 days of each other. They were free ranging at the time. The first, didn't want to come in at night. Walked like it was drunk, staggering and slow. I found it dead the next morning, all stretched out. Same thing with the second one, about a day later. Whatever it was, killed them quick and very little symptoms. They had been totally fine when I let them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by