Free Black Australorp Cockerel: Portland OR.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Frequent Flyer, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Oregon
    Oops! Ginger is actually George! He is 5wks old and in healthy shape. If you live in or near the Portland, OR area, come on over and get him. I don't think the neighbors would appreciate a rooster in the suburbs. [​IMG]

2. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    Is this cockerel from a hatchery or a breeder? Thanks! [​IMG]

3. Frequent Flyer

Mar 29, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm assuming a hatchery since I bought him at a farm supply store. If he is in fact a cockerel, (which I am pretty sure he is since the other two have no combs at all) he has a very sweet disposition and is patient with the kiddos.

4. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    Quote:Did you buy straight run or were they supposed to be pullets only?
    The reason I ask is because last year I would have sworn that our barred rock Queenie was a cockerel because of having a larger redder comb than all the other chicks we got at the same time. Turns out that she was at least 2-3 weeks older than all the others. So we thought Queenie was going to Kingly but ended up staying Queenie.(Can you tell the kids name our birds?) [​IMG]

5. Frequent Flyer

Mar 29, 2011
    Oregon
    I bought them as chicks and the store stated 95% accuracy they were females. So I imagine they were vent checked at a day old. I have another post on BYC to make absolutely sure 'she' is a 'he' over here. You can see how he measures up to the other two pullets. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by