Free Blk. Australorp Rooster UDATE: ONE GONE !!!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Slim, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Slim

Slim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Portage Michigan
    Free 1.5 yr old roosters. Big Barred Rock, and a Blk Australorp. (Blk Australorp has lost it's comb to frostbite).
    The 'roos seem happy and healthy, but don't get along too well. The Barred Rock will chase off the Austrolorp if they get w/in 15' of each other.

I'm in SW Michigan. 'Roos are free to anyone that wants them. If no takers, they'll be culled, and I hate doing that. [​IMG]

Willing to drive to meet takers. I've never shipped birds, but am willing to investigate if you'll pay shipping.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  2. Slim

Slim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Portage Michigan
    Barred Rock found home.
    Only Blk Australorp available

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Hi Ya Slim, We are almost neighbors. I live in Bloomingdale, MI. And my very good friend Hotwings, lives in Portage. I was just wondering what the laws are in Portage about chickens? I know she would love to have a couple at her place, but she thinks is it illegal. So do you know the in's and out's of what Portage allows?

4. Slim

Slim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Portage Michigan
    Hello Freebie!
    Wow, small world eh?....

Poultry's fine. The only reference to poultry in the city code of ordinaces is as follows:

Sec. 10-6. Running at large; tying animal in street for purpose of grazing.
    (a) No person shall permit any bovine, horse, swine, sheep, goat or poultry to run at large in the city.
    Any such animal found running at large in a public place in the city shall be impounded.
    (b) No person shall picket or tie any such animal in a street of the city for the purpose of grazing or feeding.
    (Min. Bk. 1969, p. 456, Vol. 2, 4-15-1969; Code 1967, § 2 1/2-5; Code 1983, § 610.04)

This ordinance will also apply:

Sec. 10-5. Noisy animals. No person shall harbor or keep an animal which disturbs the peace by loud noises at any time of the day or night. (Min. Bk. 1969, p. 456, Vol. 2, 4-15-1969; Code 1967, § 2 1/2-3; Code 1983, § 610.03)

There is another referance to poultry that involves land use. I think it has something to do with building codes but I haven't read the whole thing to figure that part out.

Here's a link to a searchable Portage City Ordinance: http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=12005&sid=22

Hope
    that helps. Oh and ummm...... ya want that rooster? [​IMG] lol

If she's looking for some chicks, I'll be hatching some out in my daughters 4th grade classroom this fall. I'll have extras, and if she'd like a specific breed, maybe we could work something out.

See Ya-
    Slim

5. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I am going to let her know about this. I am sure she does not want a rooster anyway.

Is your rooster mean? I just sold my barred rock rooster at the spring auction at Belle Feed in Bloomingdale. I miss him sometimes, but I was so scared of him, I could not take proper care of my hens. So my husband, who really did enjoy having Jack around said we should get rid of him. The funny part is, I let a couple of broody hens hatch out some chicks and they are all barred rocks. So now I have 7 chicks and I am sure one or two of them will be roosters. Ah well, we will figure it out when the time comes.
    Belle Feed usually has a fall auction as well.

6. Slim

Slim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Portage Michigan
    Quote:I would be interested in that. Should I call Belle Feeds or do you know when that might happen?

I dunno how mean the 'roos are. My daughters (age 11 & 12) are scared of both. I have to get rid of them just because my hens just don't get a rest from the rooster's errr, ummm.. "loving". Many of the hens' backs have been worn bald, and one has an open wound I'm attending to. The Barred Rock was a great care taker tho, he did a super job of defending his ladies. The Australorp on the other hand is just a clumsy off.

Oh well.

I have a couple 8 week old australorp/barred rock pullets if your friend (or you) can just have if you are interested. I currently have 16 hens and 14 pullets, and I'm about to put 18 Light Brahma eggs into the incubator. I'm about to have too many chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  7. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    They just opened a Belle Feed in Portage didn't they? Well, it may have been last year. I remember the girls in Bloomingdale telling me about it. And one of them spent alot time over there getting it ready. But I am not sure if she works there or not. The auctions are in Bloomingdale, right on M-43 at their store out there. I really enjoy the auctions, but never buy anything, and this is the first time I have ever sold anything. You could call the store and ask them. They may know if they are having one, but unsure of the date. I will ask them next time I go in, probably next week. I am usually there about once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by