FREE! Blue Ameraucana Hen FREE! Pickup in Fannin County, GA.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I'm rehoming my Nora, who is just over two years old. She is a blue Ameraucana out of Cree Farms lines and is my bluest egg layer. I am overwhelmed with issues at the moment, just life in general plus some internal laying issues that seem to plague my hatchery stock (not Nora), and lately, Nora is having soft egg issues. She will lay an okay one, then a thin-shelled one that gets crushed in the nest. I don't have the time to give her individual attention in the form of making sure she gets daily calcium in order to fix the problem or I'd be happy to do so. I believe she is not hitting the calcium feeder and I do put it into the feed occasionally, but I just can't manage her at the moment.

Nora is completely healthy otherwise, is somewhere in the molting process. She occasionally loves to be picked up, knows her name, etc. I feel that if she is supplemented with calcium daily, she may get over this issue and you'll have a really nice blue egg layer. She has been raised in a healthy, safe environment and I'd like her to go to the same. Pickup in Fannin Co., Ga.

We would love to give Nora a home. We live in Carrollton, Ga. We are discovering that we have three roosters (in fact you posted on my thread last night about them), we really would really like to have a hen since we are going to rehome our roosters anyway. When could we pick her up?

Yes, we have two black copper maran chicks that are in the brooder right now. Also, we may keep one of the Dominiques.

Just want to be sure that you don't put Nora in with three roosters, which would be a bad situation for her. Do you have a pen for her to be separate for a bit, but so she won't be entirely alone? She is from a flock of 40 or so and hasn't been by herself completely ever, though I always suggest a quarantine period so you can get to know her and she makes the transition with a minimum of stress. Do you have pictures of your pens/coop? I know it seems like a lot of questions, however, I usually want to make sure any birds I give away go to a place where they can be safe and secure as they are used to being. Hope you understand.

Last edited:
Oh man Cyn wish I could come down there and get this beautiful girl! Hope she gets a great home.

Of course, I totally understand. I apologize that it took me a second to get back to you, but I had to go and take pictures of my coop. I would not want to put her by herself with three roosters either. I would re-home at least two of them before she arrives and I am still hoping that my two black copper marans that would go in there in a couple of weeks are females (I can't find the smiley with the crossed fingers).

I built my coop to house about 4 chickens. I close them in the house at night but during the day (if I am at home), I will open the run and let them free range in my fenced in backyard. I am a teacher and I am off during the summer so my chickens have spent a lot of time in the backyard with me and my two little boys (2 and 5). However, when I am not at home, I leave them closed up in their run, which is I think ample space for four chickens- also I have half of the run shaded. You can tell that my chickens don't spend a lot of time in their run since there is still so much grass in it.

I promise Nora will be well taken care of if she comes to live with us.

61046_p1100477.jpg

61046_p1100480.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, that sounds good, Ray. Since you're new to BYC, didn't know how experienced you were with chickens and the three roosters had me a bit concerned--boys that young always gang up on the hens and compete with each other and can actually kill a hen by overmating. The coop seems great for four birds. When would you like to get her? Most anytime is good for us, though I'm having company next weekend and won't have much time to sit and chat then. We are home all during the week, usually. Just let me know and I'll get you directions. lockedhearts (Karen) has been here often and she lives in Bowdon.

Oh Cyn, Wished I lived closer. I have one blue Americuana that I would love to find a friend for but it seems you have found your girl a great home.

Back
Top Bottom