Free cage is never free, but sure is fun!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Denninmi, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I scored a totally "free" parrot sized cage a week ago -- it was sitting out for the trash man in my neighborhood on trash day, so I did a quick U-turn and snatched it up. It is virtually brand new, had just a little bit of feather debris on the bottom and still had the price tag $99 from Meijer.

So, I sterilized it and filled it up with these guys:

[​IMG]

They are Australian Diamond Doves

Cage, free

Bleach to Sterilize, $0.50

Birds and supplies, $100

Happiness, Priceless

These two boys are brothers hatched together and have always been together per the pet shop. I really wanted a mated pair, but I couldn't find any females locally. Down the road I will probably try to find these boys a couple of mates. Since Diamond Doves are social, they should be able to live together as the cage is large enough. If not, I can always get another cage.

2. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    $100 for two male diamond doves!!!!! sorry but you got ripped off.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:It says birds & supplies $100. [​IMG]

4. 95yj

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    I forgot that not everybody has mountains of feed cups, water bowls, spare perches and billions of other random bird supplies... Come to think of it I probably have a few birds lying around that i could put in the cage...

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Not a problem. The birds themselves were $34.95 each, which I didn't think was too unreasonable. I picked up some other stuff at the same time -- not all of it will actually go for them, anyway, some of it is "multi-purpose" like finch seed, bird vitamins, spray millet, that will be shared with my 22 quail as well.

6. 95yj

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    yeah, doves are probably the most expensive birds to feed, except pigeons, cause they eat the same thing just more.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sounds like a good find! Be aware, though, that if you get 2 females for your males, you may need to separate the pairs. Sometimes during the breeding season, the males will fight each other for dominance (yes, even if they're kin and were raised together). As a friend of mine said, "They'll get along fine -- until they don't!" [​IMG]

8. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:You should see if the have any swaps or sportsmans club sales that sell poultry, livestock etc... I got a 3 young DD's for 15.00 for all 3 at a swap about 3 months ago! They are all different colors too and in great health!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by