FREE camping if you're fleeing from IKE (I10 & I-75 area)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Shared Acres, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Suwannee Music Park near I-10 & I75 is offering free camping if you are fleeing the hurricane. They are primitive spots (no elec or water), but it's better than nothing!

They have shelter in case of bad weather and there are free showers and such for anyone who needs it.

The info I saw said that dogs and horses are welcome, however there is a horse barn fee.

HERE IS THE original bulletin, but it's not reading right:
    ----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
    Date: Sep 7, 2008 8:27 PM

Free primitive campsites for Ike evacuees available

Hurricane and tropical storm season is battering Florida and the Gulf Coast and now Hurricane Ike is emerging as another threat to Florida. North Florida’s premier campground, the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park on the beautiful Suwannee River, offers relief to Florida residents who once again are fleeing storms in the Atlantic and the Gulf. The Park is opening its doors to those evacuees seeking shelter from Ike and other tropical storms and hurricanes.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />Hundreds of guests have taken advantage of this offer in the past during threats of hurricanes and tropical storms.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />SOSMP President/CEO James Cornett wants Florida residents to know that the SOSMP will make available primitive campsites at no charge for two days for Florida residents evacuating due to Ike. These sites are available to tent campers, travel trailers or RVers. Upgrades for water, electric and/or sewer are available at regular rates. The park also has cabins available for rent, a tree house and other overnight accommodations available at regular prices.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />SOSMP has primitive camping space for literally thousands of visitors on its more than 700 acres alongside the famous Suwannee River, Cornett said. “We want people to be aware that they may come to the SOSMP for shelter. While no one is immune to a strike, we are in one of the least likely areas to be impacted,” Cornett stated.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />The SOSMP has several bath houses available free to guests, a fully-stocked Country Store, the SOS Café (a full-service restaurant), as well as entertainment and many other amenities to keep you busy while you‘re in North Florida. The park is strategically located between Interstates 10 and 75 and near shopping, a hospital with emergency helicopter service should the need arrive and a countywide fire and rescue service.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />Should the SOSMP be impacted by intense or threatening weather, it also has safe buildings for shelter. The SOSMP is located less than 5 miles from Interstates 10 and 75 so evacuees can make quick and easy exit from the SOSMP should a storm or flooding threaten. The park is also situated on some of the highest land adjacent to the Suwannee River and is an inland campground.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />SOSMP staff members and community volunteers have logged much experience in recent years helping folks who have had to evacuate their homes. During these times, staff is available and on-site 24 hours a day. SOSMP staff has attended the yearly Governor’s Hurricane Conferences to be better prepared for the hurricane season and to better provide for guests. Local churches, elected officials and volunteers also lend a helping hand when needed during emergencies.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />The SOSMP is located just 4.5 miles from Live Oak.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />Entertainment this week includes karaoke Monday and Thursday with Ted McMullen, and the Mike Miller Band from Jacksonville will be playing Friday and Saturday night in the Music Hall. As always, the SOS Café and Restaurant will be open daily and during the entertainment serving meals and beverages at regular prices.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />Pets on leash, as well as horses, are welcome. There is a stable fee for horses.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />The SOSMP is located 4.5 miles south of I-75 and 4.5 miles north of I-10 on US 129. From I-75 take Exit 451 south, cross the Suwannee River and you’re there. From I-10, take Exit 283 north on US 129 to the SOSMP across from the Florida Agriculture Inspection Station.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/><br /><br />For more information, call 386-364-1683 or go to our website at <a href="http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vbXVzaWNsaXZlc2hlcmUuY29t">musicliveshere. com</a>.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/> It is our pleasure to be here for you.<br style="display:none" gauntlet_tokenizer_reserved=""/>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by