1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FREE: CB Marans over Buff Orp eggs, beginning week of 2/16

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ninjapoodles, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    My Buff Orp hens are laying like crazy! I am happy to share their eggs, fertilized by two copper black Marans and one Buff Orp roo, for the cost of shipping.

I'm guessing, based on the shipped eggs I've bought, that I can ship a dozen eggs for $15, so that's what I'm asking to be reimbursed for.

We are planning on raising this cross right now as a dual-purpose bird for our own use--we've been pretty happy with straight Orpingtons for meat, and the Marans are much heavier, so I'm hoping it will be a good cross for egg-laying, and worth raising the extra roos to butchering age. If you'd like to give it a shot, just post here, and I'll send as many dozen as I can gather. I've never shipped eggs before, so be patient with me. [​IMG]

I figure I can offer them for free for a month or so? I can also include some EE eggs (fertilized by the same roosters), if you like. I don't know how many dozen I'll have each week, but I'm gathering one to two dozen a day right now, and all that I've set myself have been fertile.

The hens are Buff Orpingtons, plus a couple of Easter Eggers and one copper-black Marans who I pulled from the Marans pen due to what I consider excess white in her feathers.

Here are some of the Orp and EE hens.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the CB Marans hen that I pulled from the Marans pen.
    [​IMG]

The roos are one Buff Orpington, "Skee-Lo," and two copper black Marans who I pulled from the Marans pen due to excessive copper over the whole body and/or too much variation in color.

This is the "too much red" guy, whose tail is missing due to bad poodle attack.
    [​IMG]

And this one (in the background), I think is gorgeous, but I don't think his coloring meets up to the standard.
    [​IMG]

Here's the Buff Orp sire.
    [​IMG]

Obviously, I can't guarantee what you'll get, but statistically, it should be mostly Marans/Orpington crosses, with some purebred Buff Orps. Any eggs from the EEs or the one Marans hen will be easily identifiable, and hers could be either purebred Marans or Orp/Marans--I'm thinking she mostly sticks with the Marans roos, because they were all already comfortable with each other before being added to the larger Orpington flock.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I would like to get on that list

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Well, you can be first! [​IMG]

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    [​IMG]

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Can I be #2 on your list? [​IMG]

6. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    You bet! OK, so let's ship these first two on Monday, 2/16. Is that OK? I'll try to send at least 15 each.

Just PM me with shipping addresses, and I'll let you know where to PayPal the shipping.

I think I could have another dozen or two go out later in the same week, if anyone else is interested.

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    can i be #3? and if so when do i absolutly need to send the money out? ANd do you accept personal checks or wouuld you rather have a money order? I can do either! i dont have pay pal tho!

I'd love both the main mix and the ee mix!! *drools*!

8. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Would you care to just trade quail eggs for them? [​IMG]

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Would you care to just trade quail eggs for them? [​IMG]

sure i can do that, however, I only have 1-2 hens laying right now, and i'd be worried to hold off sending them out to you in order to get a good deal of eggs.....but if you are willing to wait until next month when the flock outside should start up i can send you out 20+ eggs from ALL my colors (they will be from select pens) or you can pick and choose

my pens will be
    A & M (the one hen is the biggest ive ever seen she lays eggs almost as big as banty eggs)
    Golden pen
    Jumbo Brown pen
    Tibetan Pen
    and Tuxedo pen

You can get 5 eggs from each pen if so, or any number of 20+ (to make it fair 25+ lol).

I highly doubt you'd want a fresh amount from my two hens now....(if i really have two that are laying one is laying but that's not worth it) id have to send you out like 8 and i'd feel bad lol!

Let me know! [​IMG]

10. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Me 4? Could I get some shipped on 2-23.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by