1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free chick from Mcmurray. What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BekahBear, Feb 24, 2014.

1. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    title says it all. i just got my chicks from McMurray Hatchery this morning and through process of elimination i figured out that this little guy/girl is the "free rare chick". any ideas what breed it is? i brought him/her outside and snapped some quick pics in natural lighting to try to show the true color/pattern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. savannahm0m

savannahm0m Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Savannah
    She almost looks like my speckled sussex chick, except she does not have the dark on her nose.
    [​IMG]

Could also be an Easter Egger?

3. BekahBear

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    im pretty sure its not an EE. it has a single comb, is smaller than my EE chicks, and doesn't have the tell tale dark legs or puffy cheeks.

i almost mistook it for a speckled sussex chick at first (i got a few of those and it does look a bit similar.) but this chick is more grey in color than they are and the pattern is a little different when you put them side by side.

4. BekahBear

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    i think i may have answered my own question. i did some research and looked at the "rare" breeds list from McMurray and i think the chick might be a Silver Leghorn. s/he sure is a cutey whatever s/he is.[​IMG]

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Silver leghorn or silver phoenix, when it gets older and its legs go grey its a phoenix, if they stay yellow leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by