***Free Chicken Coop***

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by just271, Oct 17, 2011.

1. just271

just271 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Georgia
    We decided to get more chickens and build another coop. All the materials was stuff we was able to get for free. My budget to build the coop was $20. Yes, only $20. Thus far, we only spent $12... So far so good!! Just need to stain/ paint the exterior. The coop size is 6' long, 4 wide and 5' tall w/ 6 nesting boxes. We will be adding a 10x10 dog kennel for the run area. I'll post new pictures once its painted w/ the kennel attached. Thanks again for stopping by.

Please take a look and have a great day!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=92169

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Looking good! I assume that during the summer daylight hours they free range? Our heat would roast them in that box with the glass increasing the sun's heat inside.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Gotta love free stuff! Once it's painted it will look great, good job, amazing what a coat of paint can do!

I got a free shed but by the time we did renovations and added the run...figure probably spent $600 but still feel good about it, would have been much much more if I had to pay for or build a 8x8 building. Here's a link to my latest thread on my newest coop if you want to check it out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=581329

4. just271

just271 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Yes, your right about the hot summers we have in GA and FL. They will have access to a 10x10 kennel for there run once we attach it to the coop in a few days. We lucked up w/ the windows, there tented w/ UV protection. We will be adding a solar powered fan for ventilation and a few vent doors at the top side of the coop since heat rise.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Sweet. [​IMG]

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    ooh, solar powered fan-LOVE IT!

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    $12.00 spent already. You are WAY over budget. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Great job!!! It looks great. I'm a big fan of FREE and recycling.

Love what you're doing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by