FREE chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dmoffett, Oct 2, 2011.

1. dmoffett

dmoffett Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I'm new to raising chickens but I know that they like to eat bugs. The more bugs they have the less feed you have to buy.
    I've found a way to collect free chicken food.
    You take a squirrel cage blower, a light, and a stocking or tight weave burlap bag.
    Attach the stocking or bag on the exhaust of the blower and place the light near the intake of the blower. At dusk turn on the light and blower. The next morning when you get up you will have a stocking full of bugs.
    They are attracted by the light, sucked in by the blower and blown into the stocking. You could even put the light and blower on a censor that would turn on at dust and off at light.
    FREE chicken food.
    Has anyone tried it?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Never tried it. Sounds like a good bug catcher! By the way, are you related to McGuyver? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's not really free if you're powering a blower and light all night (and what is a squirrel cage blower, anyway?) But yes, very clever.

I put my chicks in an outdoor brooder and they lived a semi-nocturnal life catching bugs that were attracted to the heat lamp. It made for some entertaining chick TV!

4. dmoffett

Sep 28, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Most people have an outside light on at night. Why not catch bugs with it. Still cheaper than buying feed.
    Leann more about the squirrel cage blower here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_fan
    You
    can buy them on ebay or amazon for less than $75.00.
    Set up two and get double the FREE bugs.

5. dmoffett

Sep 28, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:We Scottish are a creative people.

6. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    lol!

I'm impressed! I think I'm going to do this as I have a spare fan somewhere in the attic!

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:We Scottish are a creative people.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Nothing new under the sun. Here's one in the 1977 Rodale's Build It Better Yourself book. It was a three page article. Anyone wanting a complete scan of all three pages, pm me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.
    db

[​IMG]

9. dmoffett

Sep 28, 2011
    Central Kentucky
  10. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Awesome, I am going to try this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by