Free chicken treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gottsegnet, May 31, 2010.

1. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    We left the children's water table under a porch light the other night and awoke to find it writhing with June bugs. My girls love them:

[​IMG]

Now we leave something under each light and I'm thinking of sweeping them up off my patio in the middle of the night when I take the dog out.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Finally! A use for those annoying little critters!!

[​IMG]

3. oreochip

oreochip Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I know that most of us on BYC boast of lovin our birds and having fresh eggs. But my main intention when I started my family of hens was to find a solution to a never ending water bug problem. My girls have solved so many bug issues that it is amazing. This will be their first year for June bugs. I'm excited to see what happens.

4. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    I didn't even realize June bugs were potential pests until the kids asked about their life cycle. Now it looks like we may be giving our lawn and veggie patch a bit of a leg up on dealing with pests!

And I love all the bugs they eat. We bought chickens mostly for the education with a side of eggs. Fertilizer and insect control? I don't know why everyone with a garden doesn't end up getting into chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by