Free Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pipe, Nov 3, 2013.

1. pipe

pipe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    I received this as a free,surprise chicken with my order of Wyandottes,Austrolorps etc.,stc. from Murray McMurray's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is now 8 weeks old and about 1/3rd to 1/4 the size of the other chicks of the same age.
    What do you think it might be and does it look like a hen or a rooster?
    Thanks for your help.

2. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Not sure on breed but could you get some closer pictures maybe nothing screams rooster but I need better pics to be sure

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet. I think she may be a Blue Andalusian.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Pullet. Not sure on the breed, but its definitely something blue. Maybe a Blue Andalusian bantam or blue Old English Game Bantam?

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a clearer and more close-up picture of his/her comb? I would say that she is a Blue Sumatra for now, Blue Andalusians should have a pink comb and from the picture I'm seeing a black one.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I noticed that too. But I've found that many blue birds, and even black birds (like Australorps) have a blackish tint to their comb, both when they're young and old. A photo of the comb would help confirm the breed, though.

7. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a picture of my Blue Andalusian when she was younger:

[​IMG]
    Her comb isn't at all tinted with black but I suppose it can vary from bird to bird. I agree a picture of the comb would help.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My Blue Andalusians had dark combs when they were young...I haven't looked closely at them lately to see if they have turned pink.

I think it is a Blue Andalusian.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by