Free Chickens!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RockyPhoenix, Jan 25, 2010.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    I found someone near me who might (HUGE MIGHT) give me 25-30 RIR and PBR laying hens!!!! I just have to convince my dad to let me have them!

2. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    Good luck [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  4. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    im excited!!! thanks!

5. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

OH BOY!!! Alarms are going off in my head right now!! RockyPhoenix, before you take even one bird, you need to start asking a bunch of questions.

First and foremost of them should be: WHY is this person giving away, for free, 25-30 laying hens? Is it because they're beyond their prime and no longer laying good weekly numbers? Are they suffering from a group illness?

Remember that old saying...You get what you pay for...and sometimes, free is anything but! You might be inheriting a huge mess from someone else who either doesn't have the time, money or patience to deal with it. Consider carefully before you commit to taking on that many birds all at once.

If their reason for giving away so many chickens for free is because they're running out of room, that might be another matter. Still, if these are good laying hens in their prime, I have a hard time believing that anyone would just give them away. Good quality laying hens do have a dollar value. [​IMG]

Judging by your signature line, you already have a good number of chickens. Ask yourself this. Can you honestly take on that many birds without any ill effect to your current flock? Can you safely house in quarantine 25-30 new birds for a month? Maybe longer?

I respect your enthusiasm Rocky, but please slow down, take a deep breath and think this thing out long and hard. Unless those girls are top notch, grade A chickens, do you really want to jeopardize those chickens you already have? The ones that you've already spent so much time and effort to raise and get to know? Are 25-30 complete strangers really worth turning your entire flock upside down for?

One more question. This person who is offering the hens...is this someone you know personally, or did you see an advertisement in the paper or on Craig's List or something? If this is a total stranger to you, do yourself a huge favor and fully inspect their facility before you commit to bringing even one single hen home. Take Dad with you and make your inspection in full daylight. Look at those girls very closely. Take your time in doing so. Sometimes even a long quarantine period is no guarantee that you won't bring something undesirable into your flock.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade RP. As I already said, I respect your enthusiasm. I just want you to be very careful in your next steps. I've seen it happen too many times to too many people. They thought they were getting one thing, and what they really got was a lot of headache and heartache. Please, just be careful.

Do keep us posted on the outcome. You still have Dad to get through after all! [​IMG] Good luck either way.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Find out their hatch date. VERY IMPORTANT.

If they are over 18 months old, I wouldn't do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by