Free chicks....maybe in SC

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cocky, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I am located in George town SC. I am a 3rd grade teacher, and I was considering incubating some eggs to let my class watch the process. If I did I wanted too know if anyone would be interested in having the chicks....for free. I want to do the project, but can't affor the extra chickens right now. (I'm going out of town for an extended period of time this summer)

Here are the conditions:

No shipping....must pick up I would be willing to travel possibly a little ways to cut your travel cost.

The hatch would not happen until later this spring as I would have to plan the project, get the incubator, and hatch the eggs.

I would not be able to sex the chicks....I'm just a teacher who has chickens as a hobby

The chicks would be mixxed breeds of what I have in my personal flock:

my only rooster is a buff orp
    My hens are as follows ameracuana (spelling?) black giant, red sex link, black sexlink, 1 golden comet

Is anyone interested?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I'm only 25 miles from you so I might be interested.How many are you talking about hatching?

3. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I was thinking around 20 more or less.

4. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    Where exactly are you?

5. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Bucksport SC.It's between Conway and Georgetown.I don't really have any room right now but if my egg sales pick up I may build another pen later.

6. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    If you sell your eggs, my hens are really good layers. I dont know what their chicks would do, but out of 9 hens I have gotten 7-9 eggs a day all winter. (I was really surprised)

My wife and I give away a LOT of eggs.

If you want them, you can do whatever you like with them once you have them, I just know we can't have anymore because we are going to Ohio this summer to visit the inlaws. Also, I probably wouldn't even be putting them in the incubator for atleast another month as I dont even have one yet.

Any other takers?....if needed I could even pick which eggs are put in the incubator if anyone wants a specific mix.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  7. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I haven't sold any for hatching just fresh eating eggs.I sell them for $2.00 if I deliver them or $1.50 if you come pick them up.I usually have 5 or 6 dozen a week left over and a friend of mine at church buys all my extras and resells them.He can't keep up with the demand.

8. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    I might be interested, I live in Murrells Inlet and could pick up. I was wanting RIRs though.

9. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    Gamecock, what kind of chickens do you have?

10. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have a wide range of chickens all mixed together.I've got some RIR and Production red chicks that are 7 weeks old that I hatched from my pen.I have plenty of bantams of all kinds if your interested in them.They are my son's and we need to thin them out.We probably have 75 that we bought from Ideal poultry last summer and too many are roosters.However straight run is the only way you can buy them so I figured we could find homes for some if we had too many roosters.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by