Free choice or not

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by junkman56, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:52 AM.

1. Hello all,
    I would like to know how you all feed your chickens. I have a large tote with 8 ports around it, I take it out of the coop at night, and return it in the morning, ( free choice ) . My problem is mice, I dont know if I should feed them in the morning before I let them out to free range, or continue to let them eat when they want to. So I would like to know your thoughts, and see some pictures of your feeders.
    Thank you in advance.
    20190814_074944.jpg

Hcchic, gtaus, Sequel and 1 other person like this.
  2. TooCheep

TooCheep Chirping

Feb 23, 2019
    Indiana
    A couple of suggestions:
    1- I think you should suspend your feeder off the ground rather than on top of blocks. If that plastic tub isn't strong enough for that, then also have a smaller block of bricks underneath that the mice can't use to climb to the holes. You wouldn't have the hassle of moving the feeder twice/day.
    2- If the problem is more about pellets being pulled out and scattered into the litter attracting mice, then attach a small plastic shield to cover the lower ~1/4 of each opening. That will keep the chickens from scattering pellets.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:49 AM
  3. Thank you... good pointers

4. Steven Bussell

Steven Bussell Songster

May 5, 2019
    Bay Area Calif
    Plus could you use caps to cover your pipes. Sure would make life easier for you

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are the mice going into the feeder during the day....or....?

Sequel and townchicks like this.
  6. I see them scampering in the evening when I go out to remove the feeder, so I'm thinking they are there during the day also, but I cant be sure. That's why I started removing the feed st night.

Sequel and townchicks like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd start trapping pronto.
    Set up snap traps under a milk crate where the chooks can't get at them.

8. I see the chickens every now and then catching a mice

gtaus, Sequel and townchicks like this.
  9. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    I free feed mine. We have rats, but they only come out at night, so putting the food away at night is easy. I only have a few chickens, so they just eat out of a dog bowl, and I have a metal canister that the bowl fits in nicely, for night.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's good!
    But I'd still set traps.....I've left traps set all over for 20 years, am more vigilant when I see 'sign'.

Sequel, townchicks and junkman56 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: