Free cockerel chicks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SandraMort, Jul 13, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I've read that the big chicken companies dispose of their male chicks in fairly inhumane ways. If one was to contact them, would they give you the roo chicks for free instead of killing them?

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

You MIGHT be able to get a deal if you live near a hatchery, but no way will they ship you any -it's too much hassle for them. [​IMG]
    Very unlikely that they'd be true meat breeds, as well.

That practice is one of the reasons I decided to raise my own chickens for eggs and meat.

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    It'd be extremely nice if they did, but so far I haven't had any luck - especially since there are a -lot- of chicks disposed of and I'd be selling them. What you're essentially asking the company to do is to give you their leftover product so you can take a cut of their profits from their potential customers.

I have plenty of room to take in a hundred chicks a week for a month or two, but I won't eat 100 chickens a week and if I sell or give those away to other people then the hatchery has lost business.

I'd still like to find a way. Even paying pennies per extra chick would be nice. But killing the leftovers instead of putting them to use means that the hatchery still saves money.

Good luck. If you do manage to get a hatchery to agree (and you should definitely try) let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by