1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Coop Plans

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Joe Jordan, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Joe Jordan

Joe Jordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You have a beautiful coop, and what a great materials list with step-by-step! I'm in Kansas too, and you're not wrong about the unique challenges to building here, to accommodate about any situation.

3. Joe Jordan

Apr 12, 2012
    Do your turkeys roost with your chickens?

4. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yes! I was really excited when they first discovered the coop. The female is the more outgoing and she went in first, and jumped up on the roosts (middle of the day) and walked back and forth on them, chattering excitedly. The male is more reserved and peered in the door but was reluctant to join her. That night she decided it was a good place to sleep but he wouldn't go in. She went over and talked to him earnestly for awhile and after that they both walked into the coop and jumped up on the roosts. It was really amazing watching the communication between them.

Since then, she has gone in voluntarily (through the chicken door) every night. He will go into the coop via the people door but has only gone in the chicken door twice (to roost - by day he is in and out of it all the time to eat). He really would prefer to sleep outside, and only goes in when she really insists. However so far he sleeps on my chunnel which is only 4' high so after dark, when he is asleep, I pick him up and carry him in.

5. Joe Jordan

Apr 12, 2012
    what is a chunnel?

6. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

chicken tunnel [​IMG]

7. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh sorry, yes, it is a chicken tunnel. Its not pretty but you can see a picture of it on my "My Coop" page. I have the auto door that swing out rather than the guillotine style and I found that guineas were roosting on top of the door, and I also worried about winds. As you know, we get some good ones in Kansas! So I chopped a door in half and created the chunnel with some pieces of scrap lumber to triangulate it, and its working great. It keeps birds from roosting on the door, and protects the door not just from winds but from rain blowing through it as well. My next project is to take some of the metal siding left over from the coop build, and cover the chunnel itself. That way it will last longer, and will match the coop a little better.

8. Joe Jordan

Apr 12, 2012
    I'll be darned! I been wanting one of these chunnles people keep talking about not knowing what the heck one even was. Turns out, I got one already. [​IMG]

BYC language is getting to me. [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by