Free Coop Up Fit

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by teamsunbelt, Jun 19, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I bought two Golden Comet Hens recentley. The seller gave me their coop for FREE. I kept them in it until tonight when they joined the rest of the flock. I was excited about the cage so that we have a place to put some young hens if we run across a good deal.

The Coop has nesting boxes and a roost pole. The sides are all wood, the front is wire. I added a new roof, giving it a little more overhang, front back and sides. The floor is all wire, which I am not a fan of. It is dived into two different sides.

Should I try to change out the whole floor, part of the floor or leave it alone? I could also add a few floor boards. I may cut a doorway, conecting both sides of the coop.

IDEAS??

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Post some pictures please, then we see what you can do with it.
    And if you have lumber go ahead and put a new floor.

3. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    A few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    That looks like an old rabbit hutch re-purposed as a small chicken coup.

5. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I belive you are correct. He had rabbits as well. They seem to be cramped, but happy. They have layed eggs in the nest box a few times since i got them.

6. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I added floor boards today to keep them off the wire floor. They return to this coop at night to roost and lay during the day. I will keep working to get them in the main coop and run.

7. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    That was certainly a nice gesture on the sellers part. Nice to see you are making the desired changes, your birds will certainly appreciate it from all that I have read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by