Free eggs worse than store?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by secuono, Apr 1, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Well this article is about eggs in Taiwan, which as they state in the article is a heavily industrialized island- so I don't think most free range eggs would have the same levels of pollutants. This really only applies to people raising chickens in polluted areas. Interesting article though.

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Ah, good.

4. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    However, with the radioactive fallout coming over from Japan to the west coast US, there might be small amounts of radioactivty being picked up by foraging chickens.

5. glisson_family_farms

glisson_family_farms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    de soto
    ok well here i have not wanted to go here with this but i read that and let me say this what about Monsanto PCDDs and PCDFs google or search these things right here
    round up lets out heavy pcdds and pcdfs and they spray are corn and soy beans with it http://www.ktl.fi/sytty/abstracts/varti2.htm here read some of that then go from there

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Agreed.

I would also like to know who is behind the funding that these scientists are doing. They can say that anything "may" contain anything in order to influence peoples decision to buy or not buy a certain product.

The eggs I get from my happy, healthy, free ranging chickens will beat the crap out of the billion dollar commercial egg industry, I don't care what scientist says otherwise. I would even go so far as to say that perhaps certain people in that egg industry are getting a little concerned about the amount of people who have begun to raise their own food.

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Just another thought... wasn't there a time when eggs were bad for you because of their cholesterol levels. Then other studies showed this wasn't true. It really just depends on who you want to believe.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That's what kind of peeves me when first reading the article. . . They put it out as if it speaks for all free range eggs, which kinda had my blood going, but then mentioned Taiwan. Sure hope anyone reading the article catches onto that.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by