Free exotic chick what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Joev1973, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Joev1973

Joev1973 Songster

I ordered 16 chicks from murry mcmurray and claimed a "free exotic chick" while completing my order. As most of my chicks were buff orphingtons (8 hens and 1 rooster) I can identify them. I also got 2 buff polish with a crown on their heads so I can identify them as well as 2 buttercups 2 whiting true blue and 2 whiting true green. All identified.

Instead of receiving 17 birds (the 16 i ordered and free exotic chick) i received 20 chicks. 2 are (i believe) extra buff orphingtons which i am happy about as long as they are girls lol. And this little guy who sticks out like a sore thumb...whom i am assuming is my free exotic chick.
    Can anyone identify him?

582050662.jpg 20190612_175245.jpg

2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    To early to tell for sure, but it looks like a australorp.

3. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Crowing

Feb 15, 2019
    New Jersey
    Hi!

I have no idea what he/she is! Maybe it will be easier to tell as she ages. She/He is very cute though!

Hope you enjoy your free exotic chick!

Maugwa and Joev1973 like this.
  4. Maugwa

Maugwa Songster

Jul 1, 2018
    Goshen County, Wyoming
    IDK, but I hope you get some answers, I'm curios too. Please follow up with some as it ages photos, and fill us in when this puzzle gets solved.

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Could be several different breeds. Update in 6-8 weeks when it matures more.

6. Joev1973

Joev1973 Songster

Is that the earliest I will be able to tell?

How many weeks until I can spot the rooster thats supposed to be in there?

I ordered 1 buff orphington rooster wondering when i will he able to idenitify him and if there are others? How many weeks until I can make that call?

EggWalrus and CaramelKittey like this.
  7. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    I also bought a pair of buff orpingtons wasnt sure what I was going to do cause I bought a trio of PB rir along with them they r so big and friend the orps compared to some of my other breeds
    *my oprs r bout 3 to 4 months and it's very clear the Male.from female so ull definitely know in 3 or 4 months

EggWalrus, CaramelKittey and Joev1973 like this.
  8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Maybe an Andalusian is my current guess. :pop

Agree though that it may be too early to tell. Ear lobe color can help when it becomes visible. :)

CaramelKittey likes this.
  9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    About the same age, most cockerels start showing themselves around 8 weeks for Orpingtons.

10. Joev1973

Joev1973 Songster

Guys the chick i posted is NOT my free exotic chick. I took all 20 chicks out. I used the internet to identify the 2 buttercups, the 2 whiting true greens and whiting true blues. While doing so I found a youtube video where someone bought true blues from the same hatchery i did (murry mcmurray) and low and behold some of the chicks are black. I then visited the hatchery web site and there are multi colored true blues. So i counted heads again.

2 buttercups (easy to identify)
    2 true green
    2 true blue
    2 buff polish (easier to identify)
    Those are now all identified.

That leaves me with 12 chicks all yellow and all look like Buff O's
    So the exotic chick is either a buff O or looks exactly like the 11 other chicks that are buff O's.

I swear they all look exactly the same. But the "free exotic chick" is definitely yellow like all the rest and at 1 week old I cant tell which one he is.

Confused yet? I am lol

Anyhow only time will tell I guess. Perhaps in the coming weeks he will stand out as an exotic chick.

Sorry for the confusion but heck im confused!!

Maugwa and bantamsrmyfav like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: