Free fange and gardens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by briana1975, Feb 24, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I am new to this, ordering first chicks ever this week. Once chickens are old enough I plan on letting them free range during good weather. The question I have is about my gardens. We have 2 large veggie gardens. We can and freeze for the fall and winter season. I also love all my flower beds. Will it be ok for the chickens to be around them or will they get destroyed?[​IMG]

2. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Sorry not great typist.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They will take great pleasure in destroying all your veggies and flowers. The only answer is a fence...either around the gardens or the birds.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yes. [​IMG]

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Your chickens will enjoy destroying your garden. They will scratch all the weeds away and in the process scratch all your veggies away. They will eat lots of insects and the fruit of your labor.

6. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    It will not be destroyed because you will spend every waking hour chasing the chickens out of the garden. Or you will build a fence.

I have faith that your garden will survive. Mine did.

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. Patch of Heaven Farm

Patch of Heaven Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

They will have a feast with your veggies. [​IMG]

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    chickens LOVE tomatoes... they love berries.. they love squash.. they love greens.. they love beans.. they love..... heck NO i would NOT let them NEAR my garden!!!!!

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Last year I fenced my free rangers in during garden season.....until I noticed my tomatoes disappearing. It was my dog!!! [​IMG]

This year? I fence the garden with low level chicken wire topped with electric. Chickens and dogs still free range.....garden secure. Wait!! Who needs the dogs to keep out deer when I have a fence around the garden? [​IMG]

Here, boy! C'mon, poochey, poochey, poo ...... (cocking gun sound inserted here)

10. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Thank for the advice. I guess they:( will stay in the chicken yard when I can't be out to supervise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by