Free feed from snack factory what do you guys think of it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Joe.G, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    There is a snack factory that makes stuff for quaker oats and other snack food companys, I can get tons ( I mean tons each sack weighs about 500 LBS ) of stuff that did not make the cut, Mostly corn and oats based snack cakes and cookies, there are also just oats and stuff, it is assorted and all mixed together, I know a lot of farmers do mix it with there cow feed and pig feed and what not, It is free and I tried it today and everyone here seems to like it, I will not feed it as a sole rations but I was wondering what you thought of it as a filler and snack. Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I wouldn't go over 10% of the regular feed for treats (I would treat those as treats), and you might do better to start with a nice 20% protein ration like Flock Raiser or unmedicated chick starter with oyster shells on the side for your layers.

Layer feed has 16% protein and thus if you are cutting the feed the protein will be cut further down than with a 20% feed.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I guess it just depends on whether you want to feed them processed foods. I know many people are doing it now to save $ on feeding their cows. Its one of the reasons I don't buy it and buy only grass fed beef now.

4. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I do feed my birds flock raiser in the winter time, This would only be used as a scratch for them, Not as a full on feed.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yeah that sounds good then. You are already starting out at a nice high protein level. So by the time you cut it you will still be at a decent level to produce eggs and feathers (protein).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd do it. I've fed a lot of animals that type of thing, or bread store leftovers, etc. Just keep an eye on your animals and they'll tell you if they need something else. If your flock is laying, watch production. If it drops off, you need to increase protein or cut back the amount of "non-feed" you're giving them. If they aren't active, or get susceptible to mites, etc, then again re-eval your feed. But if everyone's laying, healthy, active, etc.........you're doing okay.

7. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I figure why not try it, I get as much as I want of it, I can always feed the wild life also with it, I am giving some to my buddy for his chickens tom.

8. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Here is the sack,

Here are some of the birds eatting it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    You need to get some pigs - they would love that stuff and you could raise them on the cheap!

10. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by