1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free food

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SandraMort, Sep 8, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
  2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Interestingly I have heard of such things, never had a chance to work with any of this type of feed, why not give it a try. Its food quality and it may make your chickens "happy" birds! lol.
    Good luck with the notice and offer.
    Keep us posted!!
    Kel

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Do it...You will save a bunch on your feed bill. We have that here every once in a while. My husband also works for the Dept. of Agr. so you can imagine how much we save on our grain and feed bill. Now days do anything you can to save money.

4. frostychicken

frostychicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    I have given my chickens the spent grain from some of my home brewing activities. They eat it just fine, but it is not a 'complete' diet. I would use it only as an add-on, especially if you are feeding meat birds.

5. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a beautiful thing.... win win for all involved. I work not too far from FX Matt brewing company and farmers are there on mash days with big trucks. The farmer gets free food for his animals and the brewery doesn't have to pay to have it hauled away.

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Wow! sounds like a deal!

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Sweet!! Wonder if they throw in any free beer as well? [​IMG]

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Brews Grains and Distillers Grains are high in protein, but the Amino Acid profile is woefully deficient in Lysine and Methionine. The wet grains are very palatable, but they mold very quickly (less than 5 days in summer). In commercial diets we limit the use of these in dry form to less than 25% of the diet, but we provide other sources of Amino Acids to meet the animals needs.

Jim

9. juliebee

juliebee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2008
    Illinois
    A friend of mine is a farmer with great big grain bins. He called and offered
    to give us the screenings from his operation for our chickens. Well heck yeah!!!! The girls are pretty pickey and I wasnt sure that they would even like it. It has really fine cracked corn and weed seeds. Almost like course powder. Well the chicks love love love it. What do yall think about this?
    Of course I will still give them their other food. But heck this is free and they love it!

10. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I wonder if the bourbon breweries in Elizabethtown, KY would part with their used grains???

Anyone from KY know??

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by