1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Horse>>>**UPDATE!!****

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Moonwalker, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    For those of you who offered help and advice:

This was taken Feb 28, 2008 when I first saw her. She still looked like this 3 months ago.
    [​IMG]
    This was a few days ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She was picked up by the local ACCREDITED horse rescue organization and will be given the care and love she deserves. She has a good chance of complete recovery because it's only been in the past 2 months that she was put out in the back pasture where she couldn't chew or digest the dry grass.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    There's a horse rescue farm across from where i work. I'll print your request out and bring it to them tomorrow.

3. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Dang! I hate it when folks dont take care of there horses!!! I'd take her, but I'm in Oklahoma. Wish yall was closer.

4. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    I should have said I am in Sevierville, TN

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That is soooo frikken sad [​IMG] I wish I was closer, I'd totally take her.

I hope you can find her an awesome home to live out the remainder of her days in happiness with people who love her!!

[​IMG]

6. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Can you please email me and get me some recent pics. Thanks Kari
    ksohmc@hotmail.com WHat part of TN?

7. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Sevierville, TN. Near Knoxville
    I am looking for the pics I took of her when I first saw her, about 6 months ago, then I will post along with the recent ones, so you can see from the date on the first ones that this is a recent occurence, not long term (harder or impossible to reverse)
    But here are the ones we took a few days ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still a lovely lady with lots of life in her! She nickers when she sees my car and follows me like a puppy. Once she gains some weight, she will be a great ride for some lucky kid! She is sound and very well trained.
    NOTE: The girl who currently owns her and is looking to rehome her, is NOT the one that let her get in this condition! It was a person who was SUPPOSED to be in charge of a group of horses on a big farm and was only really paying attention to the ones she, her boyfriend and her friends likes to ride. (she is no longer employed there, by the way)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  8. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    wish I could-I ma not in TN , don't have enough land or horse trailer-- other than those details.. I am good

9. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sad but a 28 year old horse no matter how well may not gain that weight back. May want to give her a B shot every three days and make sure her teeth have been floated recently. Something with those seniors they don't bounce back like they do when young. Also if you do get her home make sure you have money to hire a backhoe and a place to lay her to rest. I know this sounds terrible but you do have to plan ahead with an older horse(well any horse really). The life span of a horse depending on the breed is usually maxed out by age 30. I have a place for my own horses and the backhoe is much needed when they have to be placed to rest. That poor mare is so thin it will be a long time, if ever, that she can be ridden again. She needs a retirement forever home...hope she finds one with the way the horse market is now. Even well broke fat horses are having hard times finding homes.....Wishing you well on placing that mare...

10. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    yeah, that's why a lady from a local rescue is on the way out to take a look at her right now. The good news is that since it was only recently that she lost the weight, she has a better chance to gain it back. I had the chance to see her before she got like this and how athletic and active she still is. I think she has a good chance. And yes, I have made the decision before to put an animals (including horses) down if it will just be a long uphill battle to nowhere good. But if they have a good chance to be happy and helthy, then I give it to them. And if I can't get someone RELIABLE! to commit to caring for her before I move, I will try my best to convince her owner to have her put down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by