1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free horse

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Baymule, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Our neighbor in the rent house has a problem with her husband. Or more specifically her husband has a problem, his pants won't stay up when he leaves home. Jerk. Two weeks ago he left her and their 6 year old girl and generously gave his wife $50. Told her he wasn't going to pay the rent and she would have to move by herself. She called up boo-hooing [​IMG] because she has a beautiful overo paint filly with 2 blue eyes and wanted us to take her. I need another horse like I need a hole in the head. [​IMG] But the neighbor on the other side has been wanting a horse.....and now she has one!

The filly had a nasty gaping wound on her hindquarter when I went and got her. A huge chunk of meat was sticking out, it was draining down her leg and it looked bad. She was also skinny. First, she was fed. Second, free choice hay. (drought here and it is last years and cost $70 for a round bale-glad to get it) Third, doctor up that nasty wound. There was a proud cut gelding at the neighbor's and I think he is responsible for the filly's injury. The filly's new owners have been coming over in the evenings when I get off work and helping me treat her and spend time with her. It has been about a week and she is showing remarkable improvement. The wound is healing, she has put on a little weight and she has calmed down a lot. My horses have let her know she is in the bottom social rank, but they haven't hurt her. My mule is soooooooo jealous and lets the filly know it. The neighbors are fencing their front pasture and will get a 3 sided shed built. This filly will now have a very good life. [​IMG]

Some times things just work out.

2. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Good for you for finding the filly a wonderful home. [​IMG] And I would love to see pictures.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Good on you for that. Family drama can wreak havoc in the lives of pets as much as the people. It's always so nice when things work out. [​IMG]

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Thank you for taking the stress off of finding this horse a good home for someone who has plenty of stress right now! That was very sweet of you.

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    How nice of you to house the filly and take good care of her until the new owners can build her a safe place.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So nice of you to do that. I saw a free horse posted on craigslist the other day.Something about it having a bad leg and it will be killed on Friday if no one wants it.Poor guy is only 3 years old.I hope someone saved it.

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    You're a Good Heart BMule [​IMG] And your neighbor is very lucky to have you near [​IMG]

8. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    lol. I saw "free horse" and "bay overo filly" and saw you were in southeast texas and went [​IMG]

I was about to say I want her! lol I'm glad she got a good home but I'm sorry for the woman. That is so wrong...

9. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Pics of the pretty filly!!!! [​IMG]

10. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Kudos to you Baymule for helping out your neighbors and what sounds like a horse in a bad situation.

OK, now I'm gonna be the Spoilsport and ask if there was any "official" transfer of ownership?
    What happens if the wronged wife decides she wants her horse back?
    Or worse, if the asshat husband comes back and HE wants the filly?

IIWM, I'd make sure there was some sort of document transferring ownership to either you or the future owner.
    Does wife have a BOS she could transfer?

Hope it all works out as planned

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by