1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free is Good, Very, Very, Good

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tororider, Mar 16, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    JACKPOT!!!

So my sister-in-law and future brother-in-law are buying a new house/horse property. I went to look at it for the first time today. I walk back by the horse pasture and look behind some trees and what do I see??? A chicken tractor!!! Its not real big, but it should do the trick, at least through the summer as it may not be as big as I would like. I may still try to build a coop, but this at least give me time to look for free material on craigslist. Or I can try to reinforce/insulate the tractor.

Woohoo!!!

P.S. I will try to post pictures when I get it.

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    hurry with picture!!!

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    free is always good [​IMG]

4. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    where is the house in ma nj pa

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Lucky you!! Congrats on your great find!!!

6. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    My boss just leased a pasture with some old barn on it and I was going thru them and found an old brooder hood. It looks like an exhaust fan hood from a restaurant kitchen, but it has the heat lamp fixture in it. SO we made an outdoor broder cage for the chicks that have outgrown the plasticc tubs, but we don't want to turn loose yet.
    We also found a huge icebox that looks like it came off someone's boat. It will make a great brooder, easily hold 100 chicks!
    Yes....free is good...very good!
    Another bonus.. several of the small barns already have nest boxes built into the walls, so all we have to do is clean them out and put up some chicken wire!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by