free little hen with big eye infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by orangecharger7, Nov 15, 2013.

1. orangecharger7

orangecharger7 New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    A lady gave me a red hen with eye puss the size of a golf ball... I put this great med. i got in her eye socket every day for two weeks and the eye socket completely healed and she is now getting along fine with only one eye.the stuff is called : live stock medicine PURE SULFA...I listed it on ebay if anyone wants to try it...excellent non antibiotic anti bacterial medicine....

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sulfa is a sulfa drug which is also an antibiotic, probably the same as Sulmet. Your little chicken may have coryza, and that is a bad respiratory disease. You should not give away that chicken, so matter how cute, because it will infect any other chickens it comes in to contact with. Coryza is a carrier disease, and it is never cured--symptoms may go away for awhile, but it is still there. You need to keep this chicken or cull it.

3. orangecharger7

orangecharger7 New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    WOW you really called that one correct.....i already lost two other chickens with similar symptoms; a silky and another red hen... and others are gurgling.. im going to tractor supply to get that tylenol injectable... medicine....thanks alot....eddie

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. orangecharger7

orangecharger7 New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    sulfadimethox i believe has trimethoprime in it which has horific side affects includeing coma...the pure sulfa is a hundred times better, but , thanks anyway !!!!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sulfadimethoxine is used extensively in chickens. I think you are referring to sulfamethoxazole: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole
    Sulfa drugs all can be toxic to chickens, and some are worse than others, but coryza responds to sulfa drugs. According to most of the literature I have read, sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) is probably the safest.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  7. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Sorry about your chicken.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by