Free McMurray chick is a Golden Polish (i think)!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jul 12, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

With my 25 meat birds, I got a freebie, and I am 90% certain he's a golden polish. My kids are psyched, 'cause they look so crazy, but I'm not super thrilled, since I don't think they do well in Vermont winters with an uninsulated coop..... but we'll see. Haven't lost a bird to the cold yet...

2. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Wow! After looking up some pics - that is a really fun looking bird. We just got a White Crested Blue Polish and it's been a very sweet bird so far.

3. bonder

bonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Post a pic of your polish? I got some new chicks this weekend from McMurray and I got some polish so I know they were hatching them. Do they have the little pom pom on the tops of their heads?

4. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    How DARE you announce a special baby and not post pics! What WERE you THINKING? [​IMG] I DEMAND pics!

As a side note, a friend of mine got an order of chicks from McMurray today and her surprise rare breed looks like a buff polish. It's the only crested breed in her whole order.

5. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I keep seeing reference to "surprise rare breed" - McMurray always sends a rare chick w/ your order? Always a roo?

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:They always offer it with chick orders and you must ask for it. Some folks don't want ANYthing extra, others are up for a surprise. I think they tend to be roosters, since it's what they'll have the most of to spare. They manage to sell a lot of the standard breed roos in their meatbird specials, but these exotic chicks don't make the best table fare. So they offer them with chick orders, for fun, if you'd like one. I plan to take the chicks I ordered to the county fair when they're grown, so don't mind having an extra roo to show & sell. Who knows, he just might take Best In Show and really surprise me!

7. bonder

bonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
  8. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    That's what I think mine is, it looks like one I received with my order a few years ago. He turned out to be a VERY handsome bird.

9. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Laura got what I think is a Buttercup, they usually have those circular markings around their eyes that look like goggles, and it has a flat little comblet.

10. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    At least I sure hope it is! Even if it's a boy I'll keep him! I lost my last "surprise" buttercup chick and I was so sad. I think I got more attached to the name of the breed than the actual chick, LOL. I still think they have the coolest combs! Id LOVE to breed that comb into some of my future mutts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by