Free MM chick - Silver Spangled Hamburg?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by firedove, Mar 1, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I'm making the guess that this little guy is a Silver Spangled Hamburg. Am I correct? He/she is smaller and thinner than my Wyandotte chicks.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any insights!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    He could be.

Great little pooper too!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Is his comb rose comb (smooth to feel) or single comb?

It is possible this might be a SSH chick.

4. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    Yup, thats what it is. I got 2 from MM last week. Unfortunatly mine both died.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    I agree, also think it is an Silver Spangled Hamburg.

Sorry to hear about yours dying Summerb76. I got two from MM on the 16th and so far both are doing ok. Out of the 14 kinds I got, they were the 2nd smallest (and they are still pretty small). The smallest I got was a WC Polish.

Within a few days, my Silver Hamburgs started growing some wing feathers so it should not take you long to know for sure.
    Here is a pic at 1 day old:
    [​IMG]

Here is pic a pic at 5 days old:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. ChickenKick

ChickenKick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Yep Probably definitely a Silver Spangled. Though from the pics it seems that a lighter coloring is more common than the yellower coloring in the pic I sent you from MM.[​IMG]

7. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Thanks guys! Sorry to hear about your little ones Summer! My little guy has begun to get black and white feathers on his wings. I am just assuming that it's a he since that's what the free chicks usually are.

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    It's definitely a silver-spangled hamburg, and don't give up on its being a pullet. My free rare and exotic was the white polish pullet in my avatar.

9. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Cool, I will keep my fingers crossed for a pullet! Whatever sex it is, it sure is cute and very bold for it's size compared to the other chicks, lol.

10. mcmch91

mcmch91 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    Clark County, IL
    I concur. He/she looks just like my 4 SSH's. They will stay on the light body type and have flighty dispositions as a rule. Don't expect a lap chicken out of that one. My four are teaching all kinds of bad manners to my Light Brahma and Partridge cochin chicks of the same age. I think it was the little roo who planned how to take down the brooder wall . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by