Free online tax filing??? Anyone know a good one?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jen5680, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    My daughter needs to get her taxes done asap and doesn't want to wait till my
    accountant can do it. She gets to claim her son this year and is afraid that her ex
    is going to try and beat her to it. (Long story)
    So anywho does anyone no a good one to use?
    Thanks!!!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

having her's done first won't change anything.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:Meaning??????

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    It's not a race. It is about legal custody.

I always have used Turbotax. The bad thing about being debt free is that we don't have enough deductions to itemize so ours are real simple. And they file for free for some people.

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
  6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    There isn't a really good online tax filing software. I work at H & R Block and I can't tell you how many of those we have to fix each tax season.

FYI: H & R Block is doing FREE simple federal tax returns. http://hrblock.com/

7. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    it would be best if she got into her accountant.

A lot of those online or doit yourselfers don't always do things correctly.

I would also stay away from those tax places that hire anybody they can get every year to do taxes. Stick to someone like an accountant or an enrolled agent.

8. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Actually, if she doesn't have a lot of things going on income wise, it really isn't that difficult to just manually do them by hand and enter them e-file.

(Kick me if you must, but I think every person should manually do their own taxes at least once, to understand the process. It's not magic, and refunds are merely being paid back on a free loan you gave out....)

9. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Quote:No kicking here. If you have an EZ and it won't mess you up I agree. It would give them an understanding of what goes on and that tax preparers are NOT the IRS.

10. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I have been filing taxes for friends and family for several years now and no problems. I have went through the ex thing too and it does matter who files first. With that I mean that if your daughter gets hers filed first then the other parent will be denied....and will have to prove that you should not have claimed or that they had the right to claim the child.

Your daughter does have to have had the child living with her at least 6 months for the year you are filing and provided at least half the child's support but more would be better. Same applies to the other person you think may file the child on their taxes. Was your daughter married to the other person? Is the child the other persons bio child and your daughters for that matter?

I also have some filed for people already...IRS does not start processing returns till the night of the 14th but the ones that are filed sit there and wait. I e-file you get your return in 8-14 days.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by