1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Quail Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quails1, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Quails1

Quails1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Walnut, CA
    Hello everybody! This is a thread about your quails (I'm a big fan of quails!)! Have any? Feel free to post your pics, tell stories/give descriptions and info about them, recommendations/suggestions, ANYTHING ABOUT THEM! and I mean it!! DO ANYTHING YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR QUAILS (Feel free to mess around with your quail in this "free" quail thread!)!!! And if you have/own any ornamental/exotic quails (California quails, Mearns's quails, etc.) SHOW ME! AND I'LL BE REALLY HAPPY!!! I don't mind whatever you do here! Just do anything with your quails!!! Ready to have fun in this free thread?!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. fishforbrains

fishforbrains Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    You can make some pretty impressive hors d'oevures out of button quail eggs.

3. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    My coturnix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Rasahi

Rasahi New Egg

Jul 30, 2015
    Zanzibar
    I have a question:

I usual collect my quail eggs and keep them in one bowl till is full. This week I have notice that same eggs in one bowl were already spoil. So I have done the floating test and throw away all the floating eggs.

Is anyone has any idea how long I can keep the remaining eggs after testing them with water? Or they should be boil immediately.

5. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    One of my Button Quail pairs

[​IMG]

6. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    I am hatching button quail for the first time. I was told to give them sugar water as they will need the extra energy. Anything else I should know??

7. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    My buttons raise their own chicks, but I never gave them sugar water.. Just plain water with pebbles in it (some use marbles), so they can dip their beaks between the pebbles but can't get wet if they walk through the water. And finely ground (almost powder) game bird feed with 24% protein. Haven't had any chicks older than 4 days die, feeding them like that. And people say it's very important they have good footing in the brooder so they don't get splay leg - rubber shelf liner or paper towels, for instance. And of course they need the right amount of heat in the brooder, but as I let the parents brood them, I don't remember those numbers ^^

8. BellsCluckers

Apr 21, 2015
    What brands of feed do you get with that amount of protein? Just interested to see if I can find it in my area.

9. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Unless you live in Denmark, I strongly doubt you can ^^ But I've heard the brand 'Purina' mentioned many times on this forum, apparently that is one of the best in the US, with as much as 30% protein. But go to your local feed store and see what they have. Look for game bird and turkey starters and similar. If no stores near you have anything usable, you can probably buy it online.

10. BellsCluckers

Apr 21, 2015
    Halloweengirl, I love your set up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by