Free range again?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by raskal825, Feb 6, 2011.

1. raskal825

raskal825 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Suffield, CT
    This fall a hawk got my free range flock and I only have 5 chickens left. Moved ducks in with turkeys and opened chicken coop up in to duck pen so they could get out and stretch a bit. All pens covered with mesh. Question is can they go back to free ranging in the spring or will hawk still go after them?

2. Momto3boys

Momto3boys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Cassville, NY
    I've only had one taken by a hawk....I have a lot of trees around my property, so my girls can quickly run for cover if they need to! If you have a lot of trees, I say try it again, but be watchful! My girls seem to stay right along the tree line! If you don't have any trees, I say make a bigger run, & cover it w/deer netting![​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Mine free range all day every day and I have't lost one yet!! (knocking on wood!) I agree with Momto3boys.. You need to have trees and or a shed for them to be able to go under if they spy something!! Shrubbery helps too!!

4. raskal825

raskal825 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Suffield, CT
    Lots of trees, shrubs and a coop to go in. The 2 that I found the hawk with were in tree areas. Wish it wasn't illegal to shoot the hawk. Still see the hawk occasionally even though they are closed in the coop due to extreme cold here.

5. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    My girls also have lots of cover to hide from hawks.Their is alway risk free ranging, but i think its worth it for healther, happier hens.One can only close in so much area.So far i've been lucky with no hawk losses, however i do have two redtails always flying near my hen houses.The crows really help alot, chasing them off...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by