free range and new (adult) birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ki4got, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    I have an established flock of 11 bantams (3 roos 8 hens, of assorted breeds) that free ranges daily. their coop has no pen attached, we just open/close it daily.

Last Monday, I picked up a trio of dorkings(LF) about 6 months old. They free ranged at their previous home. I let them out for the first time yesterday, and the 3 decided to head off for parts unknown after about an hour meeting the rest of the birds (and a few squabbles over dominance). We caught the hens without much problem, but the roo decided he wanted to be somewhere else. far far away from here. LOL.

what i'm wondering, is how long should they stay in their pen/coop (4x8 pen w/ modified xl doghouse) before i can feel comfortable letting them out again?

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I kept mine penned for about a week... I had no problems, but mine were also younger...

I also got a silkie roo a few weeks ago that had never free ranged, and thursday was his first day free ranging... he's 6 months also. He goes home on his own, no problem... If youre worried, you could always give it a few more weeks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by