Free Range & baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bartsrock, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Bartsrock

Bartsrock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    How long b 4 I should allow my hen and babies out? I have put in Coop since she hatched them. They r now 5 days old.

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I let mine out on the third day, it depends on weather and predators, thats anyway my point of view

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Peplers chicks is right.
    Without us trying to manipulate behavior, a hen will sit on the nest a couple days till all the eggs hatch. Once the chicks are dry and able to walk around she'll take them for a walk to teach them what to eat and drink.
    So I open the door and give her the choice. Some go right out. If there is food and water in the coop, some will stay in up to a week.

4. Bartsrock

Nov 9, 2013
    Thank you.

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    More importantly, she'll also try her best to protect them from predators and other chickens.

Just yesterday my niece's little "Chorkie" got out (half Chihuahua half Yorkie). The dog is only about 6 months old, so she is still small, but bigger than the bantam hen who was walking around with four babies. Bantam hen didn't care. She puffed up and tried attacking the dog when it got too close.

The dog is scared of her now, and won't go ANYWHERE near those babies!

6. Bartsrock

Nov 9, 2013
    I will have to keep dog in for awhile but my other hen is sitting now so only critter is the Rooster and of course chicken hawks...I will b as nervous or more than her I think. Going to let them out in morning. I know henny will b one happy chick to get back out of that coop. My chickens only sleep in coop when raining otherwise they r tree loving sleepers..I would rather them coop at night for safety reasons.

7. Bartsrock

Nov 9, 2013
    Funny about the dog, I have a pretty good size anerican bulldog who is scared to death of my hens abd rooster. He flogged him pretty good as a pup so he learned quick to stay away.

8. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

I let my week old chicks out when it was 80 degrees outside. They were so cute trying to take dust baths. [​IMG] Make sure you are always supervising, and they should be fine

9. Bartsrock

Nov 9, 2013
    I let my chicks and hen out yesterday. Was so much fun watching them learn how to forage wood pile for grubs. Henny just got right back in cage at night fall was so suprised, since she has never been caged.

10. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    My hen took hers from the nest on day 4 and had them walking around the coop area for another week before she started free ranging with them. It was so neat watching her teach them about dust bathing, water, and feeding. When they got cold she would sit down and they would crawl under her wings until warm again. Then the free ranging started again. She even brought them back at nightfall to the coop. They are now 14 weeks olde.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by