Free range bust!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babyrnlc, Sep 18, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We used to let the chickens free range all day because my dog would watch them. Well since we got chicks, she was to either play with them or eat them, so we can not let them out at the same time. Well we went to a friends in between morning church and night church so I got home at 7:30 and figured I'd let the girls out for a couple of hours. I put the dogs up and let them out. They were out for 5 minutes and then put themselves to bed!

I opened the coop door and watched as they found their places. It was funny to watch. The chicks would get in the prime spots just to be knocked down to a lower place. I can imagine this happening every night.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    They are creatures of habit. If I don't make it out to the coop to herd them in, they will be there when I am able to make it out. Then I have to take a flashlight & do a headcount. I make sure this doesnt happen often...we have mosquitoes that will carry you away!

3. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I use to let my out of free range in the yard, but had to stop for I was losing a chicken a day from something getting it. That only happen for two days. They are now in there coop/run all day. I am starting to let them out a for a bit in the evening but that is not going to happen for a few more days since I just moved 11 younger bird in to that coop. After I get back from vacation next week end I will start to let them out again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by